While the Williamsburg® Restoration dates from 1926, it was not until eleven years later that, in answer to public demand, a Craft Program was developed with the idea of extending the historical and artistic influence of Colonial Williamsburg by making available to the public reproductions of some of its antique treasures. It was an educational program that it was hoped, would help "the future learn from the past" to paraphrase the legend on the Colonial Williamsburg seal, with resulting income designed to help maintain and support the organization.
The program of reproductions included items of furniture, glass, ceramics, prints, crystal, silver, pewter and glass. Each reproduction was to be a meticulous copy of the original antique in the Williamsburg® collection.
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation sought manufacturers who would be in sympathy with the extremely high standards required to reproduce the antiques. In their search they were not necessarily interested in finding the largest manufacturer in
the field, but rather the one who had the craftsmen, facilities and the interest along with an excellent record of high quality work. The original antique to be copied was withdrawn from exhibition and copied in exact detail by the manufacturer.